From spay and neuter to orthopedic surgery and soft tissue surgery to emergency surgery, we perform a wide range of pet surgeries and have access to an endoscopy specialist at Richview Animal Hospital.
We are a strong advocate of sterilizing pets for a long list of reasons, including better pet health, longer lifespan, reduced aggression and keeping the animal population low. We realize that having your beloved companion undergo surgery can be stressful for both you and your pet. At our animal hospital in Etobicoke, we do everything possible to make your pet's experience stress-free and comfortable.
Types of Pet Surgery in Etobicoke
There are some pet injuries that should be treated right away, such as the ingestion of a foreign body, soft tissue trauma and fractures. We can arrange to have our Etobicoke veterinarian perform orthopedic surgeries like torn ACL within our hospital. Treatment for a torn ACL may include the TTA, artificial replacement or TPLO technique. These methods are effective for stabilizing the knee joint and the technique recommended is dependent upon your pets specific breed, age and weight.
We regularly perform many types of surgeries, including (but not limited to):
- Spay and Neuter Surgery: Our veterinary surgical team strongly recommends that you have your animal spayed (if female) or neutered (if male). Sterilizing your animal can improve its lifespan, prevent chronic health problems--including certain types of cancer--and reduce the number of unwanted animals that are sent to shelters every year (where, sadly, many are euthanized). Your Toronto veterinarian will be sure to discuss with you when is the best time to spay or neuter your animal, and how to ensure a safe and speedy recovery from this relatively quick and simple procedure.
- Soft Tissue Surgery: It's not uncommon to find tumors or masses on your animal, especially in an older pet. While not all soft tissue masses or lesions are cancerous, some do require removal in order to prevent complications. We use advanced technology and tools to help minimize scarring and accelerate recovery time following any soft tissue procedure.
- Foreign Body Removal: Dogs, cats, and other animals are at risk for foreign bodies becoming lodged into their eyes, mouth, paws, and other areas of the body. The risk is higher for animals that regularly spend time outdoors. Animals are also at risk for ingesting objects that are not meant to be consumed, including pebbles, toys, and articles of clothing. If you suspect that your animal has eaten or has become penetrated by a foreign body, please consider this a medical emergency. The sooner your animal is evaluated by a veterinarian, the lower the risk for complications, including infection.
- Orthopedic Surgery: Certain breeds of animals are at risk for orthopedic complications, like knee injuries and hip displacements. We use state-of-the-art technology and best-practice techniques to help your animal return to normal physical function as soon as possible.
- Eye Surgery: If your animal companion is in need of pet eye surgery in Toronto, then Richview Animal Hospital is just the place you've been looking for. Common eye conditions that may require surgery include corneal ulcers, eye enucleation and eyelid masses.
- Emergency Surgery and Trauma: Getting struck by a car, ingesting poison or a foreign body, and other accidents can happen at any moment to your animal. Our team is standing by to work as quickly and as effectively as possible to provide life-saving interventions, reduce the immediate effects of physical trauma, and maximize outcomes.
State-of-the-Art Diagnostic Tools
At Richview Animal Hospital, our Etobicoke vets use state-of-the-art diagnostic tools to identify ailments quickly and accurately. This is very important when your pet has a medical emergency. These tools include
- Ready access to a certified cardiologist
- Digital X-ray equipment
- Dental digital X-rays
- Access to an ultrasound specialist
- Ultrasound equipment
- Outsourced lab
In addition to using advanced diagnostic imaging equipment, we have modern surgical suits.
What To Expect
At our Etobicoke vet clinic, you can feel confident knowing that we take all precautionary steps to ensure the health and safety of your pet during surgery. We carefully monitor your pet through various tracking equipment, body temperature blankets and specific anesthesia systems, as well as having registered veterinary technicians that are trained to monitor your pet.
Even before surgery, your pet undergoes a thorough exam, including blood tests. We take into consideration your pet’s age, breed and preexisting conditions and develop an individualized anesthesia protocol for surgery. And before you and your pet leave, we will give you written post-operative care instructions and medication for post-operative pain management.
Contact Richview Animal Hospital
At Richview Animal Hospital, we treat both you and your pet just like family. If your pet has an emergency medical need for surgery, orthopedic condition or you want to have your pet sterilized, turn to our Etobicoke vets for care. Give us a call today for your pet surgery needs at (416) 245-8805.